Sunday, May 2, 2010

Low cal tacos

I made low cal tacos tonight, and they were yummy and VERY filling. They're much more substantial than something similar you'd get at Taco Bell, and I'm sure the calories are fewer. Also, I made my own taco seasoning, so no extra salt and chemicals there. They came out spicy, but not too bad. I don't do well with hot food, and it had flavor, made my lips tingle, but didn't send me screaming for the milk jug. Plus, they were super easy to make, and not very expensive. I don't have children, but I could easily see myself making these with my 10 year old niece without much issue. Just please be careful if you are shredding your own cheese.

The cheese I used is 75% fat free, 60 cal an ounce. The tortillas are 121 cal each.

I was amazed that something that I not only cooked, but created a recipe for just by what spices smelled good together from the cupboard came out so yummy.  So, here's the recipe I came up with:

Ingredients:

1 large boneless, skinless chicken breast (aprox 8 oz)
2 tsp EVOO
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp dried cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
4 Tbsp salsa
2 oz low fat cheese, shredded
1 cup romaine lettuce, shredded
1/4 med tomato, diced
4 whole wheat tortillas

How to:

Cut chicken into large, even pieces. Combine spices and EVOO into non stick pan. Stir to combine. Add chicken, and stir to coat with spice/EVOO mixture. Cook covered over medium heat for aprox 7 minutes, or till heated through. Take off heat and transfer to plate. Using two forks, shred chicken to desired consistency. Return to pan. Toss to coat with any spice mixture that was still in the pan. Divide all ingredients equally onto the tortillas. Enjoy!

Serves 4
251 cal

No comments:

Post a Comment