Monday, June 21, 2010

Day 75

Weight: 152
BFP:  36%

So at least I lost this week.  Doesn’t look like I’ll make my birthday goal, however.  Two pounds in two days is sort of pushing it.  But maybe I’ll make it by next Monday.

I had a brain wave this morning.  I was listening to Jillian Michaels’ podcast yesterday, and she was saying how you needed to have something on your stomach before working out, because your body needs sugar (she either said glucose or glycogen, I can’t remember) to burn when you work out, and if there’s none readily available in your blood (which there wouldn’t be after a night of not eating), then your body will start breaking down muscle to get it.  Which I don’t want to happen. 

So I was thinking about what I could eat that wouldn’t make me sick again (I did not want a repeat of last time).  It was down between a couple strawberries and a handful of pecans, or a yogurt, and then it hit me, I could just cut a Luna bar in half and eat that.  So I did.  90 calories, 14 carbs, and 4 grams of protein, and I didn’t get sick.  I figure I’ll play around with things, see what works best for what.

I’m driving up to see my grandfather today.  Same driving trip as Friday.  Wish me luck!

4 comments:

  1. I am an avid fan of Jillian Michael's, love the Biggest Loser, have her workout DVDs etc. I know what's she's talking about as far as the body needing something to burn during the workout, but I'm surprised at what she said.

    If you have glyceron in your system, that is what you will be burning while you workout. That's why they say lift weights beofre your cardio to get the glyceron gone, then body can tap into fat stores.

    BUT, if there isn't any glyceron in your system (you didn't eat any carbs beforehand), then your body will choose between muscle or fat.

    If you eat protein right before your workout, you body will use that to maintain muscle mass and you will atuomatically be burning fat -- whether you are lifting, doing cardio, or just working around your house.

    They recommend 1 gram of protein per lean pound of mass. (roughly 105 grams per average woman's body). Spreading that over 5 meals/snacks a day, that's 15-20 grams.

    Personally I drink an EAS shake (17 grams) or eat 2 slices turkey and 1/2 cheese slice (w/o bread) bread right before my workout. If I lift, I make sure to eat anothe protein snack right after my workout.

    I just disocvered these radioactive test tube drinks at Rite-Aid (drugstore). 25grams of protein in about 6oz. Tastes like a liguid version of that kid's tart candy.

    Sorry my comment is so long, but unless you are training for a marathon or other race where you need endurance, you don't need carbs to fuel your workout. I've been doing the protein thing and then run/walking 3.1 miles every day and haven't felt sick, dizzy, etc.

    Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um -- 36% Body fat???

    How tall are you, sweetie? I just looked at your measurements and you are way thinner than me and I'm at about 26%.

    Unless you are 4'6, you're no way near 36%.

    Check out this body fat chart: http://www.rush.edu/rumc/page-1108048103230.html

    Scroll down and play with the sliders till you match your height and weight and it will tell you your body fat%. And tell me whoever or whatever said you were 36% so that I can beat the crap out of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, me again. Hope I'm not bothering you. I've just got home from work and was reading more of your posts. Do you have one of those body fat scales where you step on in wet bare feet?

    They aren't accurate and extremely discouragingly so. Case in point: You wrote:

    Week 4: 162lbs, 38.7%BFP, 62.7lbs of fat (.8lbs of fat lost)
    Week 5: 161lbs, 37.2%BFP, 59.9lbs of fat (2.8lbs of fat lost

    You lost 1 pound in week 5 but lost 2.8 pounds of fat. That's imposible. You only lost 1 pound. And you can't gain that much in muscle in one week. Gaining 3 pounds of muscle over 5 months is considered exceptional.

    Anyway, now that I know your height, I checked out that link and put in your figures. You're only about 28% bodyfat.

    The only inexpensive way to get an acurate reading is the caliber method. They measure skin fold thickness on your arm, waist and lower thigh. Some gyms do it for free.

    But those electromagnetic scales (or hand-held devices) are crap. Don't let them get you down.

    PS -- you're videos are very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for sharing. I am a new follower to your blog and I didnt know about you having to have food (particualrly protein) so thanks for that. I have gotten sick as well when I have had liquid thing (esp dairy) so mightjsut stick to something like you have suggested. Have a good week :)

    ReplyDelete