Thursday, June 10, 2010

Day 64

So last night I was watching all these customers come into the store with little water droplets all over them and I was thinking, “Okay, not so bad.  They can’t all have parked close, so if they’re just a little wet, I’ll be fine.”  Then the bottle guy comes in looking like he just stepped out of the shower with his clothes on.  It was at that point when I started to seriously consider going home, packing a gym bag, driving back into town and paying the 12 bucks for a day membership to the Y.  Thankfully, I got home and the rain mostly stopped.  So I bundled up in my running gear and a sweatshirt from college, and went on my way.  It rained a little, but for the most part it was fine.

Only two things bothered me.  First, all the slugs.  I don’t know if the rain made them come out of hiding, or what, but they were everywhere!  And I couldn’t avoid them.  At one point I was running, and all I could hear over my iPod was “squish, squish, squish.”  All their little squashed corpses were still in the road today.  It was sad.  The other thing that bugged me was how tired I was.  I was coming off an 8.5 hour shift that was surprisingly busy for a Wednesday, having not gotten very much sleep.  My workout suffered.  I didn’t even attempt running up that damned hill, I just paused the workout, walked up it, then ran.  I think I would have keeled over if I had tried it.  I’ll see how Friday goes.  I still don’t know if I’m going to repeat week 3 next week or not.

Today I went for a walk.  I wanted to push myself a little further, since I’ve been able to go pretty much no problem with my other longer distances.  And holy crap!  I was walking around this one bend in the road wondering how much longer it’d take me to get home because I was getting beat.  And no wonder, I walked a little over 7 miles!

Which brings me to this new site I’ve found.  It’s called Daily Mile, I’ve been a member for less than two days, and already I’m in love.  You can add in how far you’re walking (or running, biking, swimming, whatever), how long it took you, and they’ll tell you how many calories you’ve burned, how far you’ve traveled to date and all other fun stuff.  At the bottom of your training page, it gives you fun little things to equate your workout to, like your total miles and time since signing up, how man gallons of gas you’ve saved, how many doughnuts you’ve burned through, how many pounds you’ve burned through, and how many times you’ve been around the world.  They also give you stats, like your best time, your average intensity, and the furthest you’ve gone at one stretch.  You can put in your information that you get off your treadmill, or, what I like best, they’ll let you plot out a route on a map of wherever you’re working out, then they’ll tell you the distance.  No more driving around to find out how far I’m going!  Check it out and let me know what you think.

1 comment:

  1. I wish we got more rain here. I think I would prefer to be running in the rain as I would probably be the only one around here running lol

    ReplyDelete