Friday, January 7, 2011

Trying a new thing

So, as I’m sure some of you have noticed, I have been absent for quite a while.  I stopped exercising, went back to eating crap, and started to pack the pounds back on (though how many I’ve packed, I’ve no idea; I’ve been avoiding the scale).  And even though I know I shouldn’t have, I feel I have a reason for letting my new health regime slip to the back burner.

Seeing as I was using this blog as a kind of cheap therapy, I might as well let it all out, or at least some of it.  This summer, my marriage started on a downward spiral.  Actually, if I’m totally honest, it started long before then, this summer was only the tailspin. I’m not going to go into the details, but I am now living with my brother, and I’m not entirely sure where I’m going to go from here.  I do know that my relationship with my husband is over.

Anyway, this was much of the reason for my slump.  I’m an emotional eater, and there’s nothing like a failed marriage to kick that into gear.  Once I got off my diet, I didn’t have the motivation to keep working out.  This quickly turned back into me spending all day on my computer again.

I’m trying not to think of this as a failure, but as just a rough patch.  After all, I don’t want to lose weight short term, I want to live a healthier life for the long run.  Which actually got me thinking, I don’t know if I was doing things the right way, going all or nothing.  I mean, to make such an extreme change, all at once, doesn’t seem wise.  Sure, there are some people who have to do things that way, but I’m starting to think that I’m not one of them.

I’ve been thinking a lot about my weight loss efforts of the past, and I’ve realized that they’ve all been dramatic.  I’ve been consistently good at dropping a large amount of weight in a fairly short amount of time, but I’ve completely failed at keeping it off long term.  I’ve been hovering in the 160 area pretty consistently since high school.  In the past, I’ve reasoned with myself that this must be the weight that I’m just comfortable at, but I’m not.  Not at all.  I’m not comfortable with how I look, I’m not comfortable with my body, and I’m not comfortable with the extra fat that I seem to be carrying everywhere.

So here’s what I’ve been thinking: maybe it’s time to try something new.  Instead of setting goals like “I want to be 120 pounds” or “I want to be in shape by December of next year” I’m going to set a new goal: I want to be healthy and happy with who I am.  That’s it.  Fairly simple goal, right?

I’m thinking the best way for me to go about this is in stages, seeing as the do everything at once plan hasn’t worked for me in the past.  And I’m looking for all around health and happiness, not just weight loss.  So I’m starting small.  Right now, I’m getting into the habit of taking better care of my skin.  Seems like a small, stupid, vain thing, but it’s something I’ve been meaning to do.  I’ve always had dry skin, but in the past I only would use lotion if my skin got bad.  I didn’t see the need to make it a daily thing.  But shortly before Matt left, I decided that I was worth those extra ten minutes of pampering each day.  And it’s amazing how something so small could help so much.  I feel better about how my skin looks and feels, and I know that I always smell good without smelling like I bathed in perfume.  Small, stupid step, but I’m happy about it, and it’s one I’ve kept up for over six months now, and that I’m going to keep up in the future.

I think that’s what I need to change my life around, a series of small, stupid steps that will, eventually, equal up to a bigger change.

I’ve been trying to decide what step to add in next, and how to add it.  I’ve been thinking about adding in one of my exercise DVDs once a week (like I said, small steps) and going from there.  Maybe after awhile I’ll start exercising twice a week, but who knows.  I don’t want to get ahead of myself.  I want this change to be permanent, so if that means that it’s going to be a few years until I’m to the point where I was this past summer, then fine, I’m okay with that.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so very sorry you had to go through all that. *hugs*

    Your goals are wonderful, too. The beginning of feeling happy and good about yourself is always in taking care of yourself first. Looks like you're on task for that. I love the skin regime. Brilliant idea. Even when I feel good about other things, I can sometimes look at my facial skin and go "ugh" and it brings everything else toppling down.

    I love your outlook. I love your goals! They are far from stupid.

    Can't wait to see you succeed, baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear abotu your troubles, but glad to see that you're back on. Being "happy and healthy" is a GREAT goal. All other things around your life will fall into place with that simple goal. Hang in there, girl.

    ReplyDelete